Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Food Trip Day Part 2: Greeka Kouzina


On Food Trip Day, lunch time was spent with my mother and my brother in Greeka Kouzina, the one month old Greek restaurant near the hospital where my mother works. My family loves Greek food with a passion, so we were very excited to eat in this new restaurant. We ordered an interesting line-up of food.


For starters: Melitzanosalata with pita bread

As an appetizer, we ordered Melitzanosalata, Greek eggplant dip, with pita bread. In general, I hate eggplants, but I couldn't stop myself from slathering the meltizanosalata all over my piece of pita bread! The dip was flavorful and smooth, while the pita bread was warm, soft, and tasty. Definitely something to tickle your tastebuds as you wait for your food.

Fig Roka Salata

Fig roka salata was the next dish we ordered. It was excellent! The lettuce was crispy, while the dressing, though in need of a little more sugar, gave it (the lettuce) a little kick. The walnuts added more a crunch to the salad. The sweet figs, the light cheese, the vinegar, and the sun-dried tomatoes all complimented one another, while the arugula topped of everything else to make a wonderfully delicious salad.

My brother's main course: the lamb gyro

For his main dish, my brother ordered the lamb gyro, from which he allowed me to take a bite. The gyro was bursting with succulent lamb, mild feta cheese, and juicy tomatoes. When eaten with drizzled lemon juice and garlic sauce, it makes a wonderful Mediterranean wrap. I can't wait to order my own gyro soon.

The lamb gyro's side dish: patates triganites

The lamb gyro comes with your own choice of a side dish. My brother, being a potato-lover, chose patates triganites, potatoes with feta cheese and a Greek version of gravy sauce. It was so good that my mother and I couldn't help but get seconds.

The other main dish: lamb shoulder with baked potato wedges

The other main dish that we ordered was the grilled lamb shoulder with baked potato wedges. The lamb was juicy, tender, and full of flavor. I loved it! The potato wedges, however, were a bit of a let down. It didn't have much flavor, and the garlic sauce could only do so much to help it. Luckily, it didn't detract from the excellence of the lamb shoulder.

The lamb shoulder's  side dish: moussaka

Like the lamb gyro, the lamb shoulder comes with a side dish. For our side dish, we ordered the moussaka, which I describe as a Greek lasagna with eggplant. As I mentioned earlier, I hate eggplants, but I couldn't keep away from this dish! It was delicious, albeit a bit oily. Even the eggplant tasted in this dish!

Dessert: Greek Yogurt

For dessert, we ordered two scoops of Greek yogurt with honey and pistachio bits. After one spoon, I fell head-over-heels with this dish. The yogurt was creamy, rich, and tangy, a taste which complimented the sweet, golden honey. Every spoonful was a delight to my taste buds.

The decorative light fixtures

I would also like to compliment the restaurant's decor. The bottom floor of the two-story restaurant was a comfortable room with a high ceiling, making the room seem large, white walls with one wall covered in white stone, giving the room a modern Mediterranean look, and large windows, letting in a lot of light (if eating there for lunch).

Seated at the table next to us was the owner's father, who told us that his son, who received formal training in French cuisine, taught himself to cook Greek cuisine. My mother couldn't help but praise his son for the exquisite food.

Greeka Kouzina is definitely a restaurant I want to return to. With a comfortable eating area and wonderfully divine food, this restaurant is fit for the gods!

No comments:

Post a Comment