Sunday, January 13, 2013

4. THE WOMAN IN BLACK by Susan Hill


Set in the marshes of England, The Woman in Black tells the story of a young solicitor from London and his encounters with a malevolent supernatural entity.

To be honest, I was a bit disappointed with the book. I expected there to be more horror or horrific scenes involved. I never felt frightened while reading this book, though I must admit that the plot was well-structured. One thing I appreciate about it is that Susan Hill did not make anything in the book sound cheesy.

Hill's writing style and narration, through the first-person point of view of the protagonist, made the novel an easy and quick read. She has a way with words and descriptions, though sometimes she goes about describing things that are not important in the story.

While I was disappointed, I cannot say that I hated the book. It is a good thing to pick up when you want to read something that is substantial yet won't bog you down with complicated plot twists and unnecessarily flowery writing.

Until always,

Lemonjuicesodapop

No comments:

Post a Comment