Monday, November 5, 2012

Memorable Monday

Like every student, I hate Mondays. In all honesty, who doesn't? Mondays signal the end of the brief taste of freedom we get on weekends and the beginning of a grueling week of all work and no play. 

November 5, 2012, however, proved to be a unique Monday experience. In school, my Monday mornings begin with back-to-back classes of Expository Writing and Poetry & Drama under a wonderfully witty (and many times bitingly sarcastic) professor who allows us to have dress-up days in class. Dress-up day themes range from banal, like sporty chic or animal prints, to insane, like mismatched clothes or swimwear. On the day in question, which was the first Monday after Halloween, the theme was Halloween-Hangover, so we all went to class wearing Halloween costumes. Popular costume choices included Phantom of the Opera, James Bond, Clark Kent, Rachel Berry, guerrilla soldier, hippie stoner (or at least what I think was a hippie stoner), and my professor (complete with a floral print shirt and an umbrella with a handle shaped like the butt of a rifle). 

Originally, I planned to go as stereotypical beatnik by wearing a black turtleneck sweater, black leggings, black shoes, a black beret, and dark glasses. Unfortunately, the cooling system in the classroom wasn't functioning so I had to make do with a last minute costume change. I swapped the sweater for a white tank top and a sporty cardigan and the black leggings for skinny jeans. From a beatnik, I became a female One Direction wannabe. I didn't mind at all since that costume was much more comfortable than the first one and I like listening to One Direction. 

Instead of changing out of our themed apparel after the two classes, as we usually do on dress-up days with funny themes, my classmates and I walked straight to the university's cafeteria for everyone to see. After our short costume parade, we sat at our usual table by the windows and proceeded to talk, laugh, and eat as usual. 

The next notable thing happened in my Introduction to Physics class. My professor, who they call "Magic Mike" for reasons totally unrelated to the Channing Tatum movie, said something which made the whole class laugh: "There are no stupid questions, but there may be stupid answers." Honestly, I don't know why we found it so funny. Maybe it's because we are all guilty of giving stupid answers in class. 

After that class, we had an hour's break before the next class, which was Physics Laboratory. One of my newly-met classmates, who was celebrating his birthday, invited me to his birthday lunch being held in a pizza parlor off-campus. With the other invitees, we went to the pizza parlor, where we wolfed down three pizzas and washed it down with three pitchers of soda. When we finished eating, we realized that we had only ten minutes to get to the Physics lab. So we rushed out of the pizza parlor and ran back to school. I do not know how we did it, but we somehow made it to the door of the laboratory the instant that the bell began to ring. Talk about close calls, huh? 

That sums up all of the notable events of that strange Monday. If I'm lucky, maybe I'll be able to have more memorable Mondays. I hope you guys had a good Monday too.

Until always,

Lemonjuicesodapop

No comments:

Post a Comment