Sunday, November 4, 2012

Greeka Kouzina: The Return Trip



I gladly returned to my new favorite Greek restaurant, Greeka Kouzina, with my mother, my father, my three brothers, and my grandmother, who can be a bit fastidious when it comes to food. Of course, I was eager to hear my grandmother's opinion of the restaurant.

For appetizers we ordered Melitzanosalata, which was as tasty as ever, and Hummus, which was excellent! The chickpea dip was creamy and delicious without being too oily or cloying. The pita bread was soft, warm, and light. Sadly, I wasn't able to take a snapshot of the Hummus before the rest of my family attacked it.

Watercress Blue Cheese Salad
Next, we ordered the Watercress Blue Cheese Salad. A tall pile of watercress was resting on a bed of lettuce and decorated with crumbly blue cheese, walnuts, and salad dressing. The greens of this salad were wonderfully crisp and fresh, while the dressing was a perfectly balanced mix of sweet and tart. The blue cheese gave the salad a nice and salty flavor while the walnuts lent the salad a good crunch.

Spanakopita

The next vegetable dish we ordered was Spanakopita. The thin, crispy layers of filo pastries were bursting with the delicious spinach filling. I loved this dish so much that I would have eaten the whole thing if I didn't have to share it.

Beef souvlaki
The first meat dish we ordered was the beef souvlaki, which was made of tender, juicy, and perfectly seasoned pieces of roasted beef which were skewered with pieces of onions, green bell peppers, and tomatoes. The lemon juice and tzatziki (a blend of yogurt and cucumbers) added a refreshing zest to the dish.

Spanakorizo


The side dish that we ordered with the souvlaki was the spanakorizo, a dish of rice, spinach, dill, onions, and feta cheese. The dish was surprisingly delicious, especially with sprinkled lemon juice. My only comment was that the rice was a bit too dry for my taste.

Arni Lemonata
The next meat dish we ordered was Arni Lemonata, roasted lamb with lemon juice. The lamb was so juicy and tender that it was practically falling off the bone! The perfectly seasoned meat was scrumptious with or without avgolemono, the egg and lemon sauce which come with the roast lamb.

Lamb Paidakia (lamb chops)
hThe second meat dish we ordered was Lamb Paidakia, roasted lamb chops. Like the Arni Lemonata, the meat was tender, juicy, perfectly seasoned, and tasty down to the bone. A truly flavorsome treat!

Arni Keftedes Pasta


The side dish we ordered with the Lamb Paidakia was the Arni Keftedes Pasta, a cheese pasta dish with lamb meatballs. This was the only dish which, in my opinion, was disappointing. The cheese sauce and the meatballs were bland. This is a dish which I will never order again.

Milopita
Our first dessert was Milopita, Greek apple pie topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It was a delightful dessert, especially for someone with a sweet tooth as large as mine. The apple filling was well-spiced and the slice was warm and sweet, while the vanilla ice cream was a no-fail palate-cleanser.

Baklava  topped with Greek Yogurt
For our second dessert, we ordered Baklava, a classic Greek dessert of filo pastry and a nut-and-honey filling. Like the Spanakopita, the filo pastry was bursting with filling. The Baklava was well-spiced and not too sweet, a the Greek yogurt added a nice touch to the treat. It is not a craving-inducing dessert, but it is definitely an enjoyable meal-ender. 

My entire family, especially my grandmother, loved the food. She even ordered food to-go! I think it's safe to say that we'll be opening the Greeka Kouzina menu again soon. If you love Greek food too, you'll definitely want to swing by soon.

Until always,

Lemonjuicesodapop

No comments:

Post a Comment